At GM Financial, keeping your information secure is important to us. We are committed to safeguarding your data. All information gathered from you in connection with using this site will be governed by the provisions of the GM Financial Privacy Statement.
If you are the victim of identity theft regarding a GM Financial Canada account and wish to request an investigation, please download GM Financial's Investigation Request Form.
How GM Financial Secures Your Online Information
Advanced Encryption Technology
- Encryption enables us to protect sensitive information, including your name, address, telephone number, Social Security number/Social Insurance number, and income before it is transmitted over the internet. Strong encryption techniques render this sensitive information unreadable and prevents others from viewing it before reaching our server.
- Our site is backed up on a regular basis. Website activity is checked consistently to protect the information you provide.
- Sophisticated detection systems are utilized and activity on our website is monitored. We want users to feel secure while visiting our website.
Tips for Securing Your Online Information
- Keep your password and email address in a safe place.
- Create a strong password with a minimum of 8 characters, containing upper/lower case letters, numbers, and special characters. The more complicated your password, the more difficult it is for others to guess. Use the logout button when you exit the Web site.
- Although GM Financial logs you off automatically after a certain time of inactivity, we recommend you use the logout button before closing your browser. This prevents any further activity from taking place after you have left the site.
- Upon discovery of any unauthorized access, notify us immediately. Should you ever discover that someone has accessed your account without your permission, please contact us immediately.
If you ever have any questions regarding security information at gmfinancial.ca, please feel free to email or call 1-800-465-4591.
If you are the victim of identity theft regarding a GM Financial Canada account and wish to request an investigation, the claim must be submitted in writing and mailed to GM Financial.
The following documents are required by GM Financial to process the claim:
- Completed Investigation Request Form
- Copy of an ID Theft Report, for example a police report filed with a Federal or local law enforcement agency.
The following additional documents are not required but will assist in expediting the claim:
- Completed ID Theft Statement
Please mail to:
Attn: Risk Management
2001 Sheppard Avenue East, Suite 600
Toronto, ON M2J 4Z8
Once the required documents are received, GM Financial will investigate your claim. The investigation will be resolved in the following manner:
If GM Financial can establish the true identity of the victim and determines the claim to be valid, the victim will be notified via mail and GM Financial will report to the credit bureau agencies that the GM Financial account should be deleted from the victim's credit file.
If GM Financial cannot establish the true identity of the claimant, or, in good faith, determines the claim to be invalid, the claimant will be notified via mail. The GM Financial account will not be deleted from the claimant's credit file.
If you have questions or concerns regarding your identity theft claim, please email the Central Fraud Department at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name, contact phone number, account number if applicable, and a brief description of your question or concern. A representative will contact you.